In 2023, the SIOS Information Advisory Group (IAG) offers for the first time an early career researcher (ECR) the opportunity to serve as an observer member of the working group. The ECR acts as a SIOS ambassador and assists in distributing news about SIOS activities in ECR and other administrative and scientific networks. The selected ECR observer is expected to also contribute actively to IAG activities. This engagement provides a platform for ECRs to become involved in an international organisation and develop important organisational skills.
- Eligibility criteria
- Ph.D. student or Postdoc fellow/Researcher (up to 7 years past the Ph.D.) and working on a topic related to Earth System Science or communication
- Commitment to participate in the regular activities of IAG and SIOS communication for at least one year
- Commitment to attend the Polar Night Week (January 2024) in Longyearbyen.
- Good command of the English language
- Good experience in the use of social media
- Experience from Svalbard or the Arctic in general is an advantage
- Actively participate in IAG meetings (approx 4-6/year, mostly virtual), work closely with the SIOS Information Officer and the IAG Chair to organise meetings, writing draft meeting minutes, following up on working group documents etc
- Contribute to communication and outreach activities of SIOS Knowledge Centre and make those visible to ECR networks via social media, and other means
- Assisting in organising and promoting the annual meeting of SIOS, the Polar Night Week in January 2024
- The ECR observer will receive travel, accommodation, and other expenses for attending the Polar Night Week in Longyearbyen, Svalbard in January 2024. An extended stay in connection with the Polar Night Week at SIOS Knowledge Centre can also be considered as per the requirements of SIOS Knowledge Centre and the interest of the candidate.
- The ECR observer would get a chance to learn the working style of an international organisation and the opportunity to expand their network while working with working group members and during the Polar Night Week.
Please note that the travel and accommodation costs to attend the Polar Night Week 2024 is the only financial support available for the ECR. This is a non-salaried position.
The total duration of the engagement of ECR is up to 2 (1+1) years.
- The first year runs from 1 September 2023 to 31 August 2024.
- In the second year (1 September 2024 to 31 August 2025), the ECR observer is encouraged to stay engaged in IAG and to help introducing the next ECR observer into the tasks.
- How to apply?
If you are interested in joining IAG as observer, please fill out the application form below. You will need to upload your 1-page CV and 1-page statement of interest as two separate PDF files within the form.
Your statement of interest must focus on
- your research/communication background
- your experience with communication (social media and other channels)
- experience in working with ECR networks e.g. APECS
- why you are interested in becoming the ECR observer of IAG
- how you would contribute to IAG activities and SIOS communication in general
- how this opportunity will be beneficial for your research career.
The selection procedure will be carried out by IAG. The evaluation will be based on your CV and the statement of interest. Applications from ECRs affiliated to a SIOS member institution will be prioritised (Is your home institution a SIOS member?).
Application open: 12 April 2023
Application deadline: 1 May 2023
Selection phase: 1 May - 25 May 2023
Announcement of results: tentatively 26 May 2023
Joining of the ECR observer: First week of September 2023